Debian 10.2 LXQt - Dark Theme

A positive LXQt review and shows how to set a dark theme. See

(Pedram Pourang) #2

@agaida’s nice work.

I tried the gtk2 Adwaita-dark theme with lxqt-organizer and it does not work well even without the colour coding. The Fusion Adwaita-dark is better.

(Pedram Pourang) #4

I haven’t had time to take a look at the code of lxqt-organizer (it’s new) but if a Qt style doesn’t work well with an app, most probably, the bug is in the app. So, you might want to report it.

As for “color coding”, if you mean something inside lxqt-organizer, it could be a source of bugs.

I made some code changes to improve the dark theme look.

(Alf Gaida) #6

ok, the review is positive - so, what should we do with comments like: “I don’t think that xfwm4 is a good choice.” Give a fuck, i guess - until Plasma is so modular that we can add all needed parts (incl. fonts and colours) as KCM - can’t switch to kwin right now - most of the users would kill me :smiley:

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #7

finally i have integrated all kcm in lxqt also replaced the ugly beyond belief xcreensaver with kscreenlocker.

(Pedram Pourang) #8

I use KWin under LXQt but completely agree. It’s a shame that some KDE components have artificial KDE dependencies. And I hate it when kactivitymanagerd – or worse than it, kdeinit – starts after I inadvertently click on a KDE icon… I wonder WHY KATE SHOULD START kactivitymanagerd?!

(Alf Gaida) #9

@librewish - it doesn’t matter if xscreensaver is fugly - the only thing about a “screensaver” is to be secure.

I was never too sure why xscreensaver is default for LXQt. Is there a technical reason? Just curious. The Arch LXQt package doesn’t include it, and I’m happy for that. I agree that security is the most important issue, but ugly does matter to me. A lot. To each their own, but when I return to my computer I don’t want ugly to be there greeting me. Also, I’d prefer a screensaver that uses minimal resources so doesn’t drain power.

i3lock works for me, even in its plain white screen mode. It doesn’t bring in many dependencies.

If lightdm is the display manager in use, dm-tool, already installed, can be used.

(Alf Gaida) #11

xscreensaver is availabe and considered secure. you are free to use whatever you want - ok, it should play nice with the freedesktop screensaver and locker.

I think integrated would be closer to the truth than available, as, in the Arch LXQt package, if I select Lock Screen in the menu, I get an error message saying that xscreensaver isn’t installed.

I’m not complaining! It’s very easy to edit and fix. And I get that I can use other screen lockers. And I have no issue with someone who likes xscreensaver. Totally a matter of taste.

I’ve mentioned in other threads, I’m a big LXQt fan. It’s done exactly the way I would do it. Great, great job. One of the things I admire about it is it’s clean, minimalist, easy on resources, intelligently laid out and aesthetically pleasing. I just don’t see how xscreensaver fits in to that scenario. I understand it can be set to display a blank screen, but it still installs lots of files. So I was wondering why.

(Alf Gaida) #13

we use /usr/bin/xdg-screensaver - you will find your answers there - there are only a few screensavers/lockers available (ok, a native one too)

2020-01-20-154900_508x128_scrot

Appreciate the reply, but still wondering… If I run “lxqt-leave --lockscreen” in a terminal, which is the command associated with Lock Screen in the LXQt menu and found in /usr/share/applications/lxqt-lockscreen.desktop, I get the error seen in the screenshot above, “Ensure you have xscreensaver installed and running”. This makes me feel xscreensaver is required but missing. I guess this isn/t xdg-screensaver, as /usr/bin/xdg-screensaver is installed.

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #15

well i dont want to argue with you if you feel/know xscreensaver is more secure than kscreenlocker. i dont want to use ugly xscreensaver when there are better alternative there. like slock,swaylock,i3lock,light-locker. and why do you insist on using gtk2. well then you should remove qt from lxqt and rename lxgtk2 which lxde is.

and if you say you use xdg-screenlocker and not xscreensaver. then thats totally false. as dependencies of dependancie is a dependancie. but anyway i am glad now that we can finally get rid of it.

so well it has been solved. just its not obvious to some users how to use other screenlocker.

(palinek) #16

The xscreensaver logic/message was removed few months ago (https://github.com/lxqt/liblxqt/commit/eb1f7a558480728a4d466de2b3912eea0e1a83a7#diff-daea4679b0968b88bc12d400bb64b16f), but this wasn’t released yet:

$ git log 0.14.1..HEAD -- lxqtscreensaver.cpp
commit ad3e7e5604fd37eb12c31d5f4723dc696b86e41b
Author: Chih-Hsuan Yen <yan12125@gmail.com>
Date:   Sun Aug 25 21:58:34 2019 +0800

lxqtscreensaver: improve messages for errors from lock_command

* Show a different message for lockers/screensavers other than
      xdg-screensaver.
    * Remove an unused comment. That comment was serving as a reference for
      return codes of xdg-screensaver. It's no longer relevant after #227.

commit c3e2de78b0bf51c1179cf06c3653b0971d7d58bb
Date:   Fri Aug 2 22:12:53 2019 +0800

lxqtscreensaver: allow custom lock command

commit eb1f7a558480728a4d466de2b3912eea0e1a83a7
Date:   Mon Jul 29 09:47:31 2019 +0800

Fix error messages for screensavers

Ref: https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/1378

commit 491e21d126070feeea8cddd7e6a157b0c93c4353
Author: Luís Pereira <luis.artur.pereira@gmail.com>
Date:   Thu Apr 11 16:13:17 2019 +0100

Port towards C++11 nullptr

(Alf Gaida) #17

I might sound unkind - but @librewish - please learn the very basics. Without any discussion is pointless.

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #18

and what are those basics?

(Pedram Pourang) #19

Read https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#gnome-screensaver and the section below it.

Everyone is free to use any app. In this case, LXQt prefers the securest one.

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #20

just one question how do you bypass gnome-screensaver and kscreenlocker if they are not secure.