Desktop Shortcut - LXQT

(Wanzerdata) #1

Hey There.

I developed this simple script to help people like me who wanted to create desktop shortcuts for applications and games.

Any positive criticism is welcome since this is my first published script.

I hope this help everybody.

(Ringo32) #2

It would be nicer if the scripted is based on Qarma instead of zenity :slight_smile:

(Pedram Pourang) #3
  1. It lacks overwrite check and prompt.

2. Desktop shortcuts can also be launchers: Type=Link, URL=...

3. Why GTK dialogs inside LXQt when Qarma exists?

(Alf Gaida) #4

Maybe we should just create a working menu editor and be done with

(Pedram Pourang) #5

Haha… sometimes you and I think in the same way :slight_smile: I started to make one only for Desktop, with an additional menu item above “Desktop Preferences”.

(Pedram Pourang) #6

Its dialog will be something like this:

desktop_shortcut

(Alf Gaida) #7

looks good - re: Menu editor - three things should be done:

• the menu button should have a option “Edit Menu”
  • in the menu itself left and right mouseclick should not do the same, right could be a short menu
  • we should be able to put our menu structure into a new window with some button that do something :smiley:

(Pedram Pourang) #8

Oh, it isn’t an editor but just a dialog to create a shortcut on Desktop by right clicking. I won’t touch libfm-qt; only pcmanfm-qt.

(Pedram Pourang) #9

This is the first step. Later, we could enhance it to modify an already created shortcut on Desktop – but only on Desktop.

(Alf Gaida) #10

Plain no

Maybe i should be more verbose: Not being able to edit our menu is a major annoyance and give the wrong signal to our users. And the singnal is: “We fucking don’t care about you. You sucks, learn to use vi, fpad or nano!” - I’m really not sure if we want to send out this signal any longer.

Without to much emotions - what the hell is the problem, i don’t get it. We have a working menu structure for years, we follow xdg - so modifications put into ~/.local/share/applications work well - and if one can do things in the terminal it should be possible to create a more or less simple form to do this task.

(Pedram Pourang) #11

Which menu?! This is NOT about menus but Desktop shortcut creation. The user may want to add a shortcut to a file/folder (not a symlink), or he may want to add a launcher for his own script ON DESKTOP, and he doesn’t know about the structure of desktop entries. So simple!

(Pedram Pourang) #12

launcher

(Alf Gaida) #13

Hmm - maybe it is time to just give up, delete all linux and go back to windows - was a fine time, but i ask myself now a nearly daily base if it is worth it. Really, it hurts if nobody understand me and my wishes are ignored for years.

Maybe a last attemt:

• We need a Editor for desktop files - it really doesn’t matter where these files are created
  • An Editor for Desktop files is the first step to an editable Menu
  • It’s really that simple, it’s all the same - and i repeat it for years now. It sucks.

(Pedram Pourang) #14

The user just wants to create a launcher on his Desktop easily. Why should we say, “it sucks”?! And why should we think about/compare it with a menu editor?

(Pedram Pourang) #15

Please first take a look at the simple script @wanzerdata has made. The goal: doing it cleanly inside the code; nothing else.

(Alf Gaida) #16

Try to see it as a part of a bigger problem - creating a desktop file is only a small part of it

(Pedram Pourang) #17

OK. What you see as a the bigger problem is relatively easy to solve: A separate LXQt app that does more than this dialog. To me, the real problem is that I haven’t had motivation to make the first one but I do for this one – maybe because it’s about pcmanfm-qt and its nice Desktop.

(Ringo32) #18

or for @agaida or fork this https://github.com/zaycakitayca/gnome-menu-editor-qt :slight_smile:

(Pedram Pourang) #19

@ringo32 We won’t need to fork another app.

However, 2 “shoulds”:

1. Such an app should not be a part of libfm-qt. It’s not libfm-qt’s job to do it and we shouldn’t clutter its code with such things.

2. We shouldn’t need another app to create a launcher on Desktop. It’s pcmanfm-qt’s job.

That’s why I think there’s no relation between the two.

(Alf Gaida) #20

Something completly different:

One will find a PKGBUILD in ‘./packaging’