Do not disturb mode

(Davide Stellati) #1

Hello, I was trying to figure out if there is a do not disturb mode (I mean where notifications still appear in the notification history but the popup doesn’t appear) in lxqt. Is there any way to achieve this?

I was thinking about killing the notification daemon, but, if I’m not mistaken, that would stop notifications from appearing both as a popup and in the notification history (status-notifier applet?). Thank you all in advance for any suggestions.

(Pedram Pourang) #2

That would defeat the purpose of notifications and so, isn’t a good idea, IMO.

A small popup that appears at the screen corner and doesn’t have keyboard focus can’t be disturbing.

(Davide Stellati) #3

While I agree it’s a niche function, it is something present in xfce (I’m trying to more or less replicate my old setup) and so I was wandering if something similar was available in lxqt.

It was mainly useful in conjunction with a chat app if a group chat went crazy, but I might as well close the app if I’m being honest so it isn’t actually an issue, just curiosity.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :slight_smile:

(stefano) #4

When watching films I use a script that disables screensaver and blanking screen, usually I close also all apps that could notify stuff (email, feed rss, telegram ecc), so an option to set display time to 0 while history is still working would be useful here. Not sure how many people would use it.

(Pedram Pourang) #5

I also see films with my laptop — usually series — but I’m happy that I get notifications when I have emails.

Yes, I know that different users have different habits. However, I think the responsibility of sending or stopping notifications is on the app’s side and lxqt-notificationd should reflect what the app does, without changing anything — especially the timeout. That’s a big difference with a screensaver.

(stefano) #6

Yeah, different habits. If it’s important there is the phone, all other stuff can wait until the film has ended.