Error while building

(Ralph Williamson) #1

My first attempt executing "build_all.sh gave me the following error while building lxqt-config.

“-- No package ‘xorg-libinput’ found”

Probably due to this line:

“/lxqt-config-input/CMakeLists.txt:7: pkg_check_modules(XORG_LIBINPUT REQUIRED xorg-libinput)”

Could someone suggest which development package to install in lubuntu? Thanks and Best Regards, Ralph

(Pedram Pourang) #2

My comment isn’t about your question (I hope it’ll be answered) but about build_all.sh:

IMHO, it’s highly preferable to make (personal) installable packages (in your case, deb packages) from git sources instead and install them. That’s a piece of cake with Arch based distros but isn’t so hard with Debian based ones.

(Ralph Williamson) #3

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually I was planning on doing some debug builds so I could develop some features for my personal use.

Update: This seems to solve the error. “sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-libinput-dev” Also needed, “sudo apt install libxi-dev” And ultimately needed this too, “sudo apt install libjson-glib-dev”

(Pedram Pourang) #4

The order of building is here: https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/wiki/Building-from-source#generalbuild-order

You could also download debian folders from https://packages.debian.org and change them for your personal packages.

When I was a Debian user, I made debian folders myself, so that there was a single package for each component (no dev package). I also chose the build date for version, so that apt wouldn’t overwrite them. Of course, I rebuilt the packages once Qt second version was changed but that was easy because I already had all debian folders.

Anyhow, you might know Debian much better than I do — I haven’t used it for years.

(Alf Gaida) #5

that’s what

apt source $foo

is for - if one want git snapshots - just take the packages from experimental-snapshots. One can use git snapshot for current sources.

PS: Forget about some other useful apt built in:

apt build-dep $foo

to install the build dependencies of a package.

(Alf Gaida) #6

@tsujan: s/could/should - i would only suggest our build-all.sh for distributions where LXQt is not packaged yet. For all others there is the strict rule: Use the distribution packaging and the distribution package manager. If one don’t know how - learn it.

(Pedram Pourang) #7

@agaida I knew you would give the best suggestions to average users. I just told about my experience with Debian as a possibility – which was quite successful – not as a recommendation.

That being said and IMHO, in any distro, making personal installable packages is the best practice when a user wants to go beyond what that distro provides (for his/her personal experiments, patches, etc.).

(Alf Gaida) #8

Self written personal packages are like re-inventing the wheel. Ok, there is only one exception with LXQt - when we started to put LXQt into Debian we took my personal packages as starting point for the sprint in Heidelberg at Debconf 15 :smiley:
Reason: They were complete and based on git - the last released things was older than a year and based on Qt 4 instead of Qt 5.

If we talk about personalized packages based on the official ones i’m with you. But don’t underestimate the introduced bugs if starting from the scratch - file conflicts, missed or plain wrong dependencies and recommends included.

Using the “official” packages as starting point make sense for another reason: If one do those things longterm one will be able to jump in as a maintainer for the distribution of choice if one want to - and that can be a good thing.

(Pedram Pourang) #9

On the one hand, you’re right; on the other hand, I only trust myself when it comes to personal packages — even now, that I use an Arch based distro, I have my own LXQt PKGBUILDs :wink:

Anyhow, officially, I completely agree with you; what should be said publicly is what you said. Unofficially, we have different ways.

(Alf Gaida) #10

Erm - in debian world the official packages are my own packages - so i don’t see the difference :smiley: