First experiences with LXQT

(oui) #1

Hi

As my Deepin installation does not work properly (I did install 3 times and at each installation the desktop environment works only a the first boot properly; at the second one, the bottom centered bar does not come completely so that you can’t continue! As I did know that, I did install JWM at the 2d installation and was not happy about the menu in JWM. I did add LXQT on JWM; same thing. At the 3td installation, I did install openbox, jwm, xfce4 and LXQT).

LXQT works best but need a lot of time to be operable after the sessions login…

And divers little problems stay and I find no solution:

a- I did not find the right way to enter my keyboard definition (US INTL) although it is installed (so that I have each session to invoque a monitor and set it using setxkbmap us intl. But it is a great deception on a system of about 14 GB installed!!!); ok, partially because I can’t enter in the Deepin desktop any more and so in the Deepin settings probably. But I assume that also LXQT offers the same settings?

b- divers app’s have no icon in the LXQT menu or LXQT tray (opened windows have an icon but not the icon defined in the line “icon” in /usr/share/applications/one-application.desktop

c- I don’t find where it is possible to interchange a standard application through an other application. As each desktop environment did install his one, I have the choice under 4 files and trees managers, and I would like to define an other as that what LXQT uses to avoid to have to change my habits!

That is the reason why I am searching for information how to do that.

Kind regards

(stefano) #2

Welcome here! Version of LXQt?

a) I never heard of US_intl and if it’s not present you can just make a script for it and call it in autostart

`#!/bin/bash

setxkbmap XYZ_ab`

b) no clue what divers app are, probably an icon theme issue non LXQt issue.

c) “file associations” in the settings (for directories search “inode”). But I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to replace pcmanfm-qt with another file manager, it’s drawing the desktop. But I never tried.

(Alf Gaida) #3

@oui - thats the old and common problem with installing more than one desktop environments into one installation :smiley: - and here is the common answer: We don’t care much. To be more verbose - for Debian i would call it “Frankendebian” (read as in Mary Shelly).

• Steps to reproduce: easy, install some base systems and install some DEs the distribution way, the outcome will depend on the order of installing the DE’s
  • Steps to solve: Install exactly one DE per System. If one don’t know how to handle these installations, one should learn it. Thats the only way to have a sane and working Installation without surprises.

re a) - We don’t know Deepin
re b) - Install an icon theme that contain the whished icons - oxygen, faenza, papirus, breeze come to mind. Most of the GTK icon themes don’t work well
re c) - bad luck - we can and will improve the defaults for LXQt, but until now XDG mime handling will be your friend.

(Pedram Pourang) #4

Yes because their focus is on GTK+, unfortunately. But icon sets like oxygen, faenza, papirus, breeze,… are friendly toward all toolkits.

Although you explained it best, I wanted to add that installing multiple DEs alongside each other isn’t a problem in itself but the user should know them and, for example, not run KDE’s plasma under LXQt :wink:

(Alf Gaida) #5

@tsujan - the problem with installing DE’s side by side is far more difficult as it looks at the first view

• if one use groups like in arch - not such a problem
  • if one use Debian or derivatives the problems rise fast - most people use meta packages to install things, the very most meta packages allow alternatives to fulfill dependencies

Alternatives are noted in the packaging like a | b | c | d - with a being the default alternative. That means: if one out of b, c, d is already installed, a will never be installed. Let b a gnome package, c an LXDE package, d an KDE package - shit hits the fan, you will never know which application will fulfill a dependency, it depends on the order one has installed his DE’s :grimacing:

So installations like this can be considered unpredictable and not easy to maintain.

EDIT: So my advise would be: Don’t f***ing do this. Never. Really. I’m serious about. Really. :smiley:

(Pedram Pourang) #6

I agree and understand your point. I should have made it clear that advanced users have no problem with multiple DEs installed side by side.

But not too advanced. When I started Linux 14-15 years ago, I liked KDE, Gnome and Xfce alike. At last, I chose Gnome2 but couldn’t forget about KDE3 – it was too cool. So, I installed both but was cautious about running KDE3 apps inside Gnome2. I wasn’t an advanced user in that time but got the required knowledge quickly.