General questions, roadmap and LXQT's goal

(Pedram Pourang) #21

BTW, I mentioned LXQt’s clean code. Dolphin’s code isn’t clean to me. I can’t explain it; it’s more than this or that particular code part. It’s a “Gestalt” I can see in PCMan’s works.

(Denis Obrezkov) #22

Try to do it as a user, common users don’t care at all about frameworks, they need tools to solve their problems.

(Pedram Pourang) #23

I did.

I have a gnome-shell on another computer (for testing Qt apps under it). Working with it makes me close the laptop’s lid as soon as possible. Nautilus can even make me…

Sometimes, I need to log into KDE (on this computer). It’s just tolerable with this laptop. I use pcmanfm-qt there but miss LXQt panel.

Enlightenment is fun. Its serious bugs remain there for a long time. Just fun, from time to time.

Other gtk based DEs aren’t for me. I dislike GTK for many reasons but I don’t want to explain them here.

(Denis Obrezkov) #24

I did.

So, what do you expect from apps like a common user of LXQT? Just choose from the following list.

Apps should be (pick three):

• fast
  • powerful
  • laconic
  • under strict control
  • device-oriented(phone,pc)
  • privacy concerned
  • featureful
  • simple in use
  • good-looking and elegant.

(Pedram Pourang) #25

Slow, weak, bloated, developed carelessly, featureless and hard to use. Qt’s look depends on Qt style plugin; the ugliest is called “Kvantum”.

(Pedram Pourang) #26

Really, I hate advertisements. Try them for yourself.

(Alf Gaida) #28

@tsujan_: not everyone has a working sarcasm detector implemented :smiley:

(Pedram Pourang) #29

I always forget it :smiley:

I’m not an LXQt developer, by I can give you a personal perspective. I’m former Linux Mint Cinnamon user, and both my PCs are pretty high end so I don’t NEED a lightweight DE, however I have become tired by the CPU usage of Cinnamon and other DEs based on Gnome technology and I don’t want the battery usage and fan noise that comes with those DEs. I’m now running Lubuntu LXQt and in LXQt I’ve found the first lightweight DE that doesn’t feel clunky and limiting. I really think LXQt gives you the best of both worlds. Based on modern tech stack, you can pretty it up with themes and combined with the KWIn window manager the sky’s the limit - wobbly windows and all those advanced effects are yours for the taking with a very modest CPU usage (not that I use those effects- but the option is always nice.) Even on high end machines many competing DEs feel laggy whereas LXQt is super snappy.

(Esbeeb) #31

How’s this for a goal? Please be more cloud-service friendly, LXQT, especially to open source cloud services like Nextcloud!

I would personally like to see tight integration with Nextcloud baked into LXQT: as in easy support for Webdav fileshares by default, and easy support for CardDAV addressbooks in Thunderbird by default (as in, include Cardbook). There should be a first-login wizard which asks for a Nextcloud server name (or more specifically a URL starting with https://), username, and password. Then Nextcloud access just works anywhere and everywhere possible (kind of like how Gnome does now).

(Mark Rabideau) #32

I personally would not see Cloud functionality as part of a DE. Your OS generally provides those functions. ICE-SSB is and excellent example (from PeppermintOS).

(Walter Lapchynski) #33

I don’t see the lack of a “vision statement” or whatever as a harbinger of doom, nor do I see a clear set of goals, issues, or features that need to be added. Often times these things come up organically as they have in LXQt. There are even nicely prioritized workboards which should make jumping in fairly easy.

That said, the one thing I think is lacking is timelines. I don’t think adhering to strict deadlines is a requirement, but it’s certainly the case that distributions are often weighing out the value of pulling in an upstream patch versus waiting until a new release brings it with it. If we simply had something that acted as a bit of a go/no-go for such a decision, that would be great.

The roadmap we do have is way outdated which is probably not a particularly good indication to an outsider. It’s also more than we need and the aforementioned workboards ultimately kind of deal with that. This could be repurposed to solve the purpose I suggest above. It could have a date of projected (not expected) release, which could be as simple as referring to a quarter. More precise dates would be better, but anything’s better than nothing. It could also include a link to the release blockers so folks can track the things that are keeping the release from happening.