Google Summer of Code 2020

(Raman Sarda) #1

I’d like to discuss the project ideas for GSoC 2020. GSoC would be a good opportunity to gain new developers and make nice improvements to lxqt which would benifit not only lxqt but also downstream distros.

@agaida and @wxl mentioned that they would be willing to be mentors for GSoC 2020. Anyone having project ideas please comment below and also mention if you would like to mentor.

I will also search for potential ideas and mention them here.

The application period for organisations starts on Jan 14th and ends on Feb 5th.

(Alf Gaida) #2

Your ideas about

I don’t know how complicated or time intensive both implementations could be @tsujan/@palinek - any ideas?

(Pedram Pourang) #3

I have no idea either but the visual feedback is interesting to me. I might got into the jungle of KDE codes to see how it’s implemented there (I’ve always liked KDE’s bouncing cursor) if I find the time.

(Raman Sarda) #4

https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/1196 ?

(Raman Sarda) #5

https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-panel/issues/965 This could be a very valuable project. but it is a bit difficult as stated by @wxl. The time period of GSoC is 6 weeks. and that should be enough for this one imo. what say?

(Alf Gaida) #6

hmm - works with the menu, should work with nearly everything - @tsujan knows more

(jwh) #7

I would agree on better monitor handling. I recently started using a second monitor extended on my laptop and have noticed many strange things. Issue #1738 ?

(Alf Gaida) #8

next release will remove some sharp edges - the easiest way would be to provide all active developers with a multi-monitor setup. Ok, i’m out, no space left on the desk for a second 43" screen.

(Pedram Pourang) #9

Multi-screen support is much better in the latest git. We found and fixed many issues. As far as I tested, there is no problem except for one minor issue that most users don’t encounter and is Qt’s fault (lack of a signal).

(Pedram Pourang) #10

I use the semi-broken screen of my old laptop plus an external monitor for testing :wink: With rotations, I should use my imagination a little more.

(Alf Gaida) #11

i use virtualbox - mostly in windows, current state in sid is horrible with new kernels :smiley:

(Alf Gaida) #12

not to bad

(Pedram Pourang) #13

I haven’t used VirtualBox for that although I knew it should be possible.

(Pedram Pourang) #14

Another thing: VirtualBox may show problems that aren’t real but are caused by VirtualBox. With a real computer, I can be sure that problems I see are real.

(jwh) #15

I’m on git from a couple days ago. Still random screen and background alignment issues. The laptop and monitor are different resolutions, btw.

(Pedram Pourang) #16

Please report the issues you see in the git LXQt – in a reproducible way and by filling in the issue template. If I can reproduce them too, most probably I could fix them (unless they’re about the one case I mentioned above).

(Papoteur) #17

Hello, On my side, I am using two monitors with the same resolution, with kwin (don’t know if it is relevant). It works fine. I can for example drag and drop window from a monitor to the second. What I find that can be improved:

• automatic detection when I unplug the external monitor to configure the output to only one;
  • (being crazy) automatic detection when I plug the external monitor to configure the output to the registered configuration that match the combination of monitors;
  • improve the settings layout: https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-config/issues/577

(Walter Lapchynski) #18

Just to cross reference it here, there’s also discussion on items appropriate for GSoC in #1651.

(Raman Sarda) #19

https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/

^ @agaida and @tsujan for your reference. Also, can you create a public visible wiki page and mention there the ones you feel are good. The deadline is nearing. (around 10 days left)

(Pedram Pourang) #20

I, for one, don’t trust Google with anything other than its search engine. But I’ll go with any decision LXQt makes.