Install with many broken messages

Hi, My Laptop is rather old, bought rayher cheep in 2009

On my desktop I Usualy use kde, brought by Neon,

and the same is not so fast on the laptop …

So, i want to try some thing more light : LXQT

Here I am :wink:

All updates dones, trying

sudo apt-get install lxqt 

gives a long, with many broken errors messages … here

Another try to understand and solve :

me@E625:~$ sudo apt --fix-broken install
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Done
0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 2 non mis à jour.

(Pedram Pourang) #3

Which distro?

(Alf Gaida) #4

It looks like an outdated and long ago wrecked (L)ubuntu 18.04

Excuses for respond delay, I was on mouvement. My distro is KKE Neon 5.15, in other words, t is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Plasma 5.15.4 kdeframework 5.56.0 Qt 5.12.0 noyau 4.15.0-47-generic 64 bits

agaida may be right, a bug from ubuntu 18.04 … Not good for me as i use neon witch is based on it. Should I understand and sadly accept that I cannot have both KDE and LXDE on my actual installed laptop with my actuals specifics setups ?

(Alf Gaida) #6

No, nobody tells you so. At least it will start to hurt much over time so somewhen in the future you will probably think about other methods to achieve things :smiley:

Marx describe this in his “Dialectical Laws” over hundred years ago as “the point, when quantity transforms into a new quality”

(Pedram Pourang) #7

My shameless answer would be: if the distro isn’t crap and the user knows what he/she does, he could have as many DEs installed alongside each other as he wants and enjoy each of them once in a while.

I’m french, no problem with humour, but my english is not so goog, not sure I understand well. Are you laughing at me or with me?

agaida means testing lxde over an installed kde Neon installation is a bad idea ? tsujan means Neon is a crap or I do not know what I do ?

After a new install I spend some (too long) time to reinstall and set up all what I enjoy to use. Since KDE seem heavy for my laptop now, I would like to try LXDE without new install of all my stuff. Any good suggestion ?

(Pedram Pourang) #9

No! There’s really no intrinsic problem with installing multiple DEs. The possible problems are related to distro or what the user does (for example, he may run Plasma under LXQt – that’s wrong).

Well, you advertised me not to try plasma when and if I can install LXQt, probably I should not have thought about that, si, I will not !

Apalogies, I wrote some times LXDE while I wanted to say LXQT

Could you help me uderstand and find a solution to install LXQT in my NEON installation, as this was my question in the fisrt message of this topic ?

(Alf Gaida) #11

With my debian hat on my advise would be:

• Put different things into different installations - Neon is in fact great to run the latest KDE or to follow the current development
  • Use multiboot and install LXQt in a separated partition, grub can handle multiboot just fine. Try out the latest Buster (live) images, best debian based LXQt one can get right now

Be done with.

I have already tested LXQT on Live USB, with thy laptop, it is good :wink: That’s wy I wanted it on real life.

I hoped to have “My things” : installed soft and lan’s services, usable with LXQT witch is much lighter than kde, without the time consuming of doing setups again. You answer me to reinstall on multiboot, that’s the answer I did not wish to have, but i as the avantage to be clear.

Last question, could you confirm my understanding : My hope would be difficult (and time consuming) to realize, because Neon is based on ubuntu 18.04 witch is too old for the uptodate version of LXDE ?

(stefano) #13

Probably you meant LXQt, and yes, it ships with 0.13 afaik. With L\ubuntu I’d wait for or use beta 19.04

edit: not even 0.13, it ships 0.12

(Pedram Pourang) #14

I really don’t recommend 0.13. For a year and a half (or more) we found its bugs and fixed them in 0.14.

That’s what you pay for having an LTS distro: you should wait for a long time.

I understand better now, With my unbuntu LTS I have on repositories LXDE0.12 as we can see in the errors messages on my first post, it seems not to be so good ! Since i use neon, Ubuntu-18.04LTS is no more a choice for me for a while.

So, if you can recommand me a ppa or deposit link to test the last stable version, I could install it. If you recommand me another way to install, I will check if it is not too tricky for me. And if the only good way is a new (multiboot or not) install, I will check for a good space of my time to deal with …

Thanks for your job, one day or another, I surely use it.

(stefano) #16

Arch based distros like manjaro have up-to-date KDE and LXQt packages, another way would be to compile it from source but no idea how tricky this would be on Ubuntu with qt-devel and other dependencies.

(Alf Gaida) #17

@livier - no, you don’t understand the basics how these things work. Neon uses ubuntu as base and compile all their things against it - they do not care about LXQt and thats perfectly fine. So it might be that some packages from the official 18.04 are not compatible with the Neon packages (erm, might be is wrong, highly likely will fit better) - esp. when it comes to packages that depend on KF and maybe Qt …

So - without checking it - i would tend to say that Neon is the worst of all choices when it comes to LXQt. They do not care and they are right with as Neon it the base where they develop KDE on.

My ubderstanding is slowly growing …

• Neon is based on ubuntu LTS, that is there choice …
  • this LTS or neon’s adaptations is not good for a try of LXDE (even If i do not understand exactly why, it is that).

That’s why yous suggested me to reinstall … And if i can keep my /home/user, I will not have too much config to repeat …

Making a multiboot on a crypted SSD Drive is now my problem. Even if I should have prefer another answer, thanks to telle me the truth :wink:

(Jim Shriner) #19

Not sure if you’re in a hurry livier, but if not, Ubuntu is getting ready to release 19.04 (disco dingo). Lubuntu 19.04 is using LXQT 0.14 in that release. There’s a good chance Ubuntu will backport the newer version of LXQt to their LTS version. The biggest question, IMO, will be “when?” The next issue with the 'Buntus will be that version typically lags behind the latest & greatest. If you simply want a stable & reliable version of LXQT that plays nice with Ubuntu 18.04 maybe that’s okay for you?

But if you take Alf’s advice and install a 2nd distro and have GRUB choose at startup, I can confirm that Sparky has a nice LXQT distro. It’s a rolling release, based on Debian Testing, and Alf knows a thing or two about Debian SID and Testing repos! FWIW…

(Alf Gaida) #20

@hedon - they use 0.14.1 (at least kind of :slight_smile:) - can’t resist, we don’t know if they patched or changed something.

Edit: And i don’t know if there are any plans in Lubuntu to port back things to the LTS beside the usual ppa’s (which i don’t recommend). Please don’t forget about debian - the upcoming buster is fine and one has two chances - leave it with buster in the sources so it will be stable when released or leave testing in the repo lines - in that case it remains rolling.

Edit2: And it might be that with buster i start to port things to stable-backports.