Kvantum

(Walter Lapchynski) #1

I just recently became aware of that fantastic creation of @tsujan’s known as Kvantum. Given how powerful it is (see here for an example of using it to make an application with problematic theming behave correctly), that it plugs in nicely to LXQt Configuration Center and the fact that it seems well maintained, I’m not sure why it’s not a part of LXQt. Obviously, one can install it on their own, but it just seems like an omission to me. Thoughts?

(Pedram Pourang) #2

Thanks for the kind words!

Kvantum can’t be a part of LXQt because it doesn’t have any LXQt dependency. It can’t be a part of KDE either, although it’s tuned to both. I prefer it independent of all DEs. I know Gnome users that style their Qt apps with KvGnome (a theme in Kvantum) for a consistent look and feel.

A month ago or so, I made a silly mistake and KDE users opened 4-5 issues at KDE bug tracker. A KDE dev kindly told me about it and I fixed the problem. Anyhow, the event made me realize that many KDE users saw Kvantum as a KDE program!

Of course, I use it with LXQt.

(Alf Gaida) #3

$ LANG=C apt rdepends qt5-style-kvantum
qt5-style-kvantum
Reverse Depends:
Recommends: adapta-kde
Suggests: lxqt

(Pedram Pourang) #4

Oh, and a word about its “heaviness”:

It’s simply a myth :wink: I open FeatherPad with Breeze and it takes 9.3 MiB of memory, while it takes 9 MiB with a very complex Kvantum theme.

Of course, Fusion is the lightest theme – but the poorest too.

(Walter Lapchynski) #5

Then what about featherpad, sddm-config-editor, qps, qterminal, compton-conf, pavucontrol-qt, screengrab, and obconf-qt? All of those appear to be part of the LXQt repos. I guess I’m just pointing out that had it even been so much as pinned on GitHub by LXQt, I would have known about it and probably would have been enjoying it for a lot longer than I have been (I just discovered it yesterday!).

I totally get this, but it doesn’t mean it can’t be part of the LXQt family, just as anyone can enjoy qterminal or featherpad, regardless of their DE.

Duh, it starts with a “k” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Pedram Pourang) #6

I understand your point.

Kvantum has too many KDE users. I started it when I was a KDE user myself. I still admire KDE but love LXQt.

I also like to have my independent, one-man projects but do the group work with LXQt. I don’t know why…

By chance :slight_smile: I like Esperanto and add Esperanto translations to my apps as soon as I add localization to them. Kvantum(o) is “Quantum” in Esperanto.

BTW, a Kvantum user told me there was something called “LXQt”. I didn’t believe him until I tried LXQt.

(Walter Lapchynski) #7

I know the feeling. I have long run Kubuntu at work and Lubuntu at home.

Now that you mention it, I didn’t realize that Featherpad wasn’t part of LXQt’s repositories, either. Dang. They should both be in there. I guess I can understand that they aren’t required for a “desktop environment” but both of the applications are fantastic and LXQt should at minimum refer to them somehow. Maybe a wiki page of “related applications?”

QuanTum :wink:

Hah! Talk about serendipity. I guess it’s clear that there’s some consistency between the LXQt userbase and the Kvantum userbase, going back to my suggestion about recommending it.

In any case, I won’t belabor the point any further, but just know I think your work with Kvantum is top notch. I look forward to using it more.

(Pedram Pourang) #8

I thought about it since your previous comment and found out why I liked them to remain one-man projects:

When I’m with LXQt, I’m VERY cautious in coding. When I want to do a new thing, I ask others. I like discussions and clashing of opposite viewpoints in LXQt. That feels good.

When I’m with my projects, I take big risks. Most of things in Kvantum and some in FeatherPad wouldn’t be possible without risk taking. That feels good too but differently.

So, to me, they’re incompatible in a sense.

(Walter Lapchynski) #9

When I’m with LXQt, I’m VERY cautious in coding. When I’m with my projects, I take big risks. Most of things in Kvantum and some in FeatherPad wouldn’t be possible without risk taking

Makes me wonder what glorious heights you could raise it to if you applied that risk taking to LXQt!

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #10

the first thing will be lxqt will no longer be ugly by default. as it is ugly by default. i am glad the first time i tried lxqt was to install lxqt alongside kde.so i was with kwin.or else i would have just dumped it.

(Alf Gaida) #11

erm - offtopic and false - LXQt isn’t fugly by default.

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #12

well its correct just install lxqt on arch. well it might be that im used to eye candy. and thanks to @tsujan for kvantum and giving a way to make even lxqt beautiful.

(Pedram Pourang) #13

We can’t judge LXQt’s look based on Fusion — it can have as many looks as Qt can — as we can’t judge Qt by its default style.

Fusion is the default style of Qt and, in comparison with it, the default GTK+ theme looks better. But Qt is much more flexible than GTK+ and that’s why it can be made stunning.

There are so many tastes. Some see Breeze as a beautiful style. I can’t tolerate Breeze :wink: IMO, Oxygen was more stylish. QtCurve was better but still not acceptable to me. Bespin (for Qt4) was a nice adventure.

Fortunately, Qt was (and is) far more flexible than how it’s used by those styles. For example, I wonder why none of them has transient scrollbars, while Qt supports it, or why they’re afraid of a little 3d — flatness can be nice but too much of it is just flat.

I use LXQt with Kvantum and Kwin. Once in a while, I change the active Kvantum theme. Then, the whole LXQt gets a different look. I like LXQt’s modularity very much. It can be made anything the user wants it to be.

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #14

can it be possible to kvantum to also change the color scheme when changing the kvantum theme in kvantum manager. on lxqt-kwin if you change kvantum theme but the color scheme remain same. and as lxqt dont have a color scheme change option kwin uses the same color scheme that was previously used.

since lxqt cant implement it i think kvantum can?? to automatically apply color scheme matching to the kvantum theme

(Pedram Pourang) #15

KDE has color schemes because it can’t change shapes. Kvantum has its colors in its kvconfig files as well as in its SVG files. Which color do these Kvantum buttons have?

gradient

They aren’t simple colors but complex gradients. Hence, “color scheme” doesn’t have a place in Kvantum

However, if you use KWin with LXQt – as I do – you could apply the KDE color scheme corresponding to your active Kvantum theme by using systemsettings5 (Kvantum installs its KDE color schemes only for that reason). Then, if you use BreezeEnhanced, you could have something like this (as one example among many):

There are so many possibilities.

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #16

see i dont want to use systemsettings in lxqt. thats the whole reason for this request for automatically setting color-scheme. but again i cant avoid installing plasma-workspace either way.

(Pedram Pourang) #17

I understand. I have a full KDE installation (to test Kvantum in it once in a while).

Although KDE color schemes are for KDE, it may be possible to make an LXQt app for it but no developer (including me) has had time for it. Until then, systemsettings5 seems to be the only option.

@agaida tried to separate those KDE settings from other KDE components. Theoretically, they should be separable but, unfortunately, they aren’t.

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #18

if only kcmshell5 didn’t pull all of plasma-workspace. we can have kwin settings in lxqt. with less deps.

there is a way to seperate plasma-workspace library but arch has not seperated it.or so i read somewhere.

(Pedram Pourang) #19

Exactly! KWin can be used without Plasma but its color settings need Plasma!! I hope someone does something about that.

(Alf Gaida) #20

Don’t forget the font kcm which is also in the plasma sources