Looking for a distro

(Andrew) #1

I’ve been waiting forever for LUbuntu LXDE to switch to LXQt. I’m looking for a current distribution which is easier than Arch to install and wireless works, which is using LXQt. I tried Void and felt that most Qt applications were not in their repository. Which is why im here. Thank you. P.s. Manjaro has a page on their site listing Qt applications. I suggest you put that or your own research here.

(Alf Gaida) #2

Try siduction (based on sid) Sparky (based on testing), debian stable, testing or sid - or just lubuntu next and fix the few remaining bugs yourself - it isn’t that much to do

(Jim Shriner) #3

Penpal_andrew’s suggestion is a good one, IMO. Here’s the link:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=List_of_Qt_Applications

agaida’s suggestions are good also. I’ve been massaging Lubuntu Next, but it’s beta with daily snapshot ISOs. Certainly functional if you fix the bugs yourself, as agaida suggests, but not turnkey. He’s too modest to pimp his own distro that he maintains, but Siduction LXQT is the gold standard of LXQT distros right now, IMO. The only downside of Siduction (for me, perhaps not for your) is it’s cutting edge nature. I personally prefer a “leading edge” where new packages have been slightly triaged to massage unforseen bugs. But in all fairness to Siduction, that hasn’t really been a problem. I’m just paranoid about a cutting edge distro on my (mostly) production machines. You’ve already looked at Arch, Void, and Manjaro, so maybe cutting edge rolling release isn’t an issue for you. If that’s a true statement, Siduction is the obvious choice for you, IMO!

Red Core (based on Gentoo) also looks nice, but I haven’t tinkered with it yet and…well, it’s based on Gentoo, the preferred distro of masochists. Although Red Core is trying to make Gentoo more user-friendly in a manner similar to what Manjaro has done with Arch.

IN MY OPINION, if you’re cool with a cutting edge rolling release distro, I’d go with Siduction LXQT! If you prefer a less cutting edge, fixed release distro, I’d go with Lubuntu Next and tinker with it like agaida mentioned. Biggest problem with that, right now, is that Lubuntu Next is only supported for 9 months. I really wish they had it ready for the 18.04 LTS. Thinking about hacking LXDE out of Lubuntu 18.04, adding an LXQT PPA, and seeing if I can’t get a 3-year window out of it, like I would’ve with LXDE.

But I honestly think Siduction LXQT is what you’re looking for.

(Alf Gaida) #4

To be honest - i would go with Lubuntu next if i’m used to ubuntu - the packages are the same, the bugs are slightly different :stuck_out_tongue:

(Andrew) #5

Given that I have a key person from siduction here, I will give that my next attempt. If I have problems or want to give praise, it makes it easier. I’m surprised at how helpful the siduction website is and I never heard of this distro before. P.s. I do not have production machines. I’m just a lone person doing my thing who decided to leave Windows behind in my past. If things mess up, I just start over.

(Alf Gaida) #6

I really don’t want to discourage you - but please be aware of the very nature of sid and rolling releases. If you can handle it - fine. If you can’t handle it right now - you will learn it :wink: Erm, it might be in some circumstances that you have to and will learn really fast.

(Jim Shriner) #7

Penpal indicated a familiarity with Arch, Void, and Manjaro. While Manjaro is pretty user-friendly for a rolling release, I believe Arch and Void have similar requirements for knowledge/skillsets as Siduction. And FWIW, Siduction has been supremely stable for me (so far). Stable enough that I’ve considered replacing the LTS system on my daily driver and production machines with Siduction. I won’t, of course, but it’s tempted me. :japanese_ogre:

(Alf Gaida) #8

Better save than sorry :stuck_out_tongue: Ok, you want to read the “Upgrade Warnings” section in the forum before each upgrade, quite obvious, just like in Arch. Second - read and understand the apt output before hitting <y>, also obvious but important. Third - don’t (never) use apt-get (synaptic, aptitude, myon etc), use apt instead to install or upgrade the system. Thats nearly all. dist-upgrades are the recommended way of doing upgrades. If there are any removals within the upgrade process, don’t hit <y> unless you are very sure that you know what you are going to do. If there are any doubts, hit <n> and ask in forum or IRC. It will be worth it.

This is no pampering or spoonfeeding, just the experience of some years (also years in supporting siduction). Right now Sid is more or less easy going, but there will be times when shit hit the fan - so a good apt $foo is really helpful.

(Mark Rabideau) #9

You probably have already decided on something but… if you are still shopping may want to take a copy of this MXLinux based LXQT-kwin11 Debian install. You are free to play with it or whatever. Enjoy.

A detailed explanation may be found here: