Lubuntu bloat?

(Jim Shriner) #21

Good call! I have recently discovered Sparky LXQt, a rolling distro based on Debian Testing, and am quite pleased with it so far! Wish I had met you online about 6-9 months ago…could’ve saved me NUMEROUS man-hours of downloads and distro-hopping in a VM, looking for that sweet spot!

I wish Lubuntu was rolling because I just really like that distro and their philosophy seems to dovetail with mine. But after 9+ years of re-installing my customized Lubuntu/LXDE LTS every 2+ years on a small network of approximately 20 machines, I’ve just grown tired of that cycle. Lubuntu has been the perfect distro, other than that criteria, and that has only changed recently. It’s on me, I changed the criteria…not anything that Lubuntu has done. Fortunately, there are LOTS of choices in linux-land and LXQt seems to be getting stabilized and polished up in the same time frame that I’m looking! I love this about Linux!

But thank you for the tip jubalh!

(jubalh) #22

No problem. Generally I would always consider checking out the differences between ‘big’ distros. Gentoo vs Fedora vs openSUSE vs Debian for example. Then settle on one of those and just use a minimal install and install all the things you like. A distro that just packs a certain DE and some apps is not really needed in my opinion.

BTW: I mentioned Debian testing only because you seem to come from an Debian derivate background. But there are some more rolling release distros like: Gentoo, Arch, openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Sounds like you have had your share of distro hopping but maybe you are curious… :wink:

(Jim Shriner) #23

You are correct, I come from a Debian (Ubuntu) background and I am much more familiar and comfortable with the Debian tree of distros. I also like Arch and Manjaro. If I were to stray from the Debian tree, it would be for one of those 2. (Unless you’re a developer for the Google ChromeOS), Gentoo is for masochists! LOL!

(Mark Rabideau) #24

@hedon Like you I spent a lot of time (early in my Linux journey) running on Debian (mostly ubuntu variants). About version 0.8 of manjaro I switched to daily computing in the arch-world. I found the transition pleasant and worth the work. Now I’m very comfortable in both worlds (that is different than being very skilled). Nonetheless, if currency and fluid transitions are what you seek, I believe rolling releases offer a worthwhile option. If I had your environment I would seriously consider hunting the rolling release options. As a manjaro ‘bigot’ (as long as Philip Müller is leading the charge) I highly recommend that distro other excellent options include Antergoes, SWAG arch (xfce biased), archlabs (openbox based). In the Debian world I believe @agaida recommendation of siduction is a good option, as is SparkyLinux.

I’m guessing here but I think that either vanilla arch or Gentoo would give you, like they do me, headaches. :wink:

(Jim Shriner) #25

It seems we have very similar outlooks, taste, & criteria for our OS?!

My background is almost entirely in the Ubuntu tree…started with Ubuntu 9.04, continuing with the introduction of Unity (hated it, then grew to like it, then grew to loathe the ever-increasing resource requirements) until about 14.04, when I switched to Lubuntu and got pretty good at LXDE customizations. I have a heavily customized version of LXDE with the choice of 4 different desktop paradigm logins (inspired by LXLE) for my various family & friend users who look to me for support; between MY network and their machines, I’m administering about 20 machines. It’s a huge PITA. I’m looking at rolling releases to avoid the update/upgrade cycle every 2 years in Lubuntu, but not sure if rolling is a step forward or a step back with my users (it’s definitely a step forward for me!).

Siduction LXQt is probably the best LXQt implementation I’ve come across, but even Siduction devs caution against using on production machines, which is what I have. So no matter how much I like it, prolly not gonna happen. Sparky is based on testing repos and seems pretty solid so far, but I’m anxious to see how it handles the period of feature freeze and comes out the other side. To be determined… I wish Sparky had a larger user-base, or a more active community, but it’s based on Debian; and even though it isn’t Debian proper, Debian isn’t going to disappear or be taken over by evil corporate types anytime soon.

I really like Arch, the simplicity of configuring exactly what you want, nothing more nothing less, in a vanilla fashion. And it’s been pretty stable in a VM, but prolly not a good choice for my beginners (who have stayed beginners for years…prolly not gonna change). But Manjaro is the sweet spot for my beginners. I see that 2-week lag of testing & massaging upstream Arch packages as a STRENGTH of that distro, not a weakness. The only weakness of Manjaro, IMO, is the lack of a software center for my beginners. I hope that’ll change someday, but Manjaro devs don’t seem to think it’s an issue worth addressing.

So I like ALL of these…Siduction, Sparky, Arch, Manjaro and even including Lubuntu. And while none are “perfect” for me, I’m not done putting them through all the paces, but if I had to make a decision today, I’d be choosing between Sparky & Manjaro.

(Alf Gaida) #26

@hedon - take it with a grain of salt, pure self defense not to recommend it for production usage :smile: We (siduction) run even parts of our servers with sid

(Mark Rabideau) #27

@hedon I agree with @agaida. I, also, would note that have have had novice users run arch-based manjaro for years (including my wife, sister, my 5 year old grandson and 90 year old father). If you run the ‘stable’ version, it is all but bullet-proof.

Truly I see very little difference is the stability levels of well developed and managed distros. The key is in finding a style that you like, with a distro team you trust.