LxQt Appointment Notifier -Menu Item Editor

“You can see this eventually better in pcmanfm-qt - it is a main part of LXQt but can also be used outside of LXQt. This will lead to some questions: How to take over the system Design, iconsets etc - those things are easy if a application use the lxqt-session and the lxqt-platform-plugin - much things to learn, sure. And in these cases it is fine if people with knowledge can help - that what i would like to say with formal standards.”

At this stage, I was just getting some code up and running (version v0.01 )and so was not thinking about formal standards relating system design and icon sets. However, what you say is helpful and gives me a better understanding of what you mean by “formal standards” as I had misunderstood what you were saying in your post.

Also as I currently understand matters the LXQt desktop sits on top of the Openbox window manager which uses X.Org Server (X11) as the display server. I am sure I read somewhere that the longer term goal of the LXQt team is to replace the X.Org server with Wayland and use Mir as the compositing window manager.

https://mir-server.io/

This type of development is way (way, way) outside my knowledge zone and IMO for this type of utility it makes sense to build the software which links against liblxqt.so as it develops. Maybe I am wrong.

(Pedram Pourang) #22

No, that’s not true. LXQt has no special relation to Openbox.

Some LXQt components already work with Wayland but yes, the goal is to make it work with Wayland completely. However, Wayland still has serious problems and isn’t ready to replace X11.

No, LXQt isn’t related to Mir either. Any DE-independent composite/window manager works with LXQt.

Yes I should have said “a Window Manager such as Openbox”. I believe that both SparkyLinux LXQt and Lubuntu use Openbox. Is this the case?

Anyway in I guess that the answer to my original question which started this thread “Does LxQt have a desktop menu item editor to allow the application to be added to the main menu?” is NO. I was thinking of something like the equivalent of the Gnome “alacarte” menu editor which allows you to customise menus and add entries for applications. Thanks.

(Pedram Pourang) #24

As an LXQt developer and user, I don’t have Openbox :wink:

Correct but, as was implied in my first reply, (1) you don’t need a menu editor for making a program and (2) you could use any menu editor with LXQt.

As an LXQt developer and user, I don’t have Openbox

Are you using kwin as your window manager then?

I have just checked Lubuntu and it has

Preferences->LXQt Settings ->Openbox Settings

Sparky seems to be using Openbox 3.6.1

(Pedram Pourang) #26

Yes, KWin is my favorite window manager but I’ve used Compiz-Reloaded too.

I don’t have Lubuntu or Sparky but a distro needs to choose a WM and they’ve chosen Openbox.

Slightly off topic but I see what you mean about Window Managers. I have just installed kwin-x11 (and add-ons) on my Lubuntu system and changed the session settings to use it. KWin has more configurable/compositing options compared to Openbox but I guess Openbox is designed to be a lightweight window manager and why distributions are using it in preference to KWin.

I have also noted that there is a kwin-wayland package in the repositories (KWin wayland version preview release) which I guess could be used in the move to Wayland. It is interesting when you said “some LXQt components already work with Wayland”. The move to Wayland may be closer than I originally thought.

Thanks for letting me know that “any DE-independent composite/window manager works with LXQt” and your thoughts about KWin. I will stick with KWin as my Window Manager. FYI the link to the newsletter article (Lubuntu is switching to Wayland) that gave me the impression that the Mir display server was going to be used is below.

https://lubuntu.me/lubuntu-development-newsletter-9/

(Pedram Pourang) #28

Thanks for the link!

Now, that we’re talking about Wayland:

As a matter of fact, almost all of Linux is switching to Wayland. So, we not only don’t use X11 codes but also remove the existing ones.

The most advanced Wayland implementation I’ve seen is that of KWin – Gnome’s and Enlightenment’s Wayland sessions are good but not for Qt apps (Gnome runs Qt apps with XWayland). However, as far as I’ve tested, there are still bad issues. The following ones are those that I can’t tolerate but there are more:

1. There’s no selection clipboard. Any Linux user knows how handy it is.

2. Windows can’t be positioned by Qt (or GTK) codes. As a result, you open a configuration dialog from inside a main window and it appears at the opposite side of the screen. Sometimes, menus and tooltips also appear at ridiculous positions. No GUI app can decide where to appear.

3. Drag and drop is terrible and can cause crash.

4. There’s no mouse gesture.

I hope these issues will be fixed at some point. Fortunately, KDE developers are very active in this regard.

Some non-KDE developers’ attitude toward 2 is inflexible: they use lots of technical terms to justify it (like Gnome devs who write long articles to justify the removal of systray or desktop icons from Gnome).

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #29

lxqt-panel does not work in wayland. it just outright segfaults. lxqt-session also does not work. lxqt-notificationd appears at random location. only lxqt-policykit works. lxqt-config is useless without lxqt-session. lximage-qt screenshot utility does not work. so all in all lxqt is useless in wayland at this moment.

only lxqt-config-brightness lxqt-config-file-associations and locale works

(Pedram Pourang) #30

Yes because it uses X11 code directly – we should either remove or change it at some point.

You forgot to mention 2 important components that work fine under Wayland (and I use whenever I test Plasma Wayland), namely, pcmanfm-qt and qterminal.

But you’re right: LXQt as a whole isn’t ready for Wayland at all.

BTW, we have an issue page for Wayland: https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/10. It’s better to write about important findings (that aren’t known to the LXQt team) and new developments there.

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #31

yes i forgot to mention that pcmanfm-qt and qterminal both work great even the pcmanfm-qt -desktop work good

also lxqt-config should not depend on kscreen as various wayland compositer has different implementation to control display output. and kscreen does not work with wlroot based compositers such as sway and wayfire.

(Pedram Pourang) #32

Thanks for the info! I hadn’t tested the desktop mode, although I expected it to work fine (because there’s no X11 code in it anymore).

(Shrinivas Kumbhar) #33

is it possible to divide the lxqt-config package to different package as some of the components work while some dont.

(Pedram Pourang) #34

I haven’t thought about it but I think a comprehensive approach will be better: everything should work under Wayland in future.

Until now, LXQt devs have fixed Wayland support in this or that component but finding and fixing the existing issues and adding important features have had priority. Personally, I don’t think it’s difficult to make LXQt components work under Wayland but there may be some exceptions like lxqt-panel.

(Stefano) #35

I can’t code but compile :slight_smile: I have it already running

cd AppointmentNotifier/
qmake
make 
sudo make install

(Pedram Pourang) #36

Fixed lximage-qt’s crash under Wayland by removing its X11-specific screenshot when it’s running under Wayland: https://github.com/lxqt/lximage-qt/pull/271

In future, we might want to completely rewrite the screenshot code so that it isn’t limited to X11.

(Alf Gaida) #37

@stefonarch - try the distribution tools instead of cmake, make, make install or qmake, make, make install - it is worth the extra work :smiley:

Yes this works and thanks. I have updated the instructions on github and the desktop file as the app is installed into /opt. I have also added some translations to the desktop file but the icon is just a smiley file. Thanks again much easier than my qtcreator build approach.

I have re-titled the git repository https://github.com/crispinalan/appointment-notifier to avoid any confusion with LXQt repositories. I am still dynamically linking to the liblxt.so shared library and using notificationd for desktop notifications and so the project it tightly coupled to the LXQt desktop. I could not find any further information regarding any LXQt PIM project.

(Alf Gaida) #40

@crispinalan - send you an invitation