LXQT-kwin_x11 on manjaro (inital install and impression)

testing

(Mark Rabideau) #1

I have just completed a build of LXQT (0.13) using kwin_x11 running on manjaro. It was a peculiar build because I initially installed the last formal manjaro LXDE build and stripped out LXDE,openbox, compton and added LXQT with kwin_x11. I did that because it was faster than building it via manjaro architect (which I did yesterday on VirtualBox).

The new install is running on an old Asus K52F laptop (with beefed up memory -8gb) and 1TB disk running @ 5200 rpm (this replaced the original drive which toasted a while ago). It’s about 8 years old (see: https://www.cnet.com/au/reviews/asus-k52f-review/).

I can say that the LXQT (manjaro) install feels VERY fast. The eye candy I’m able to provide is also excellent. My 5 year old grandson will love his educational videos, games, and music.

Here are some screenshots:

Here are the specs (for any who might care to see):

System: Host: asus-pc Kernel: 4.18.12-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXQt 0.13.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux Machine: Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: K52F v: 1.0 serial: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K52F v: 1.0 serial: BIOS: American Megatrends v: K52F.212 date: 11/01/2010 Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 42.4 Wh condition: 43.4/48.4 Wh (90%) CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium P6100 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 3072 KiB Speed: 931 MHz min/max: 933/1999 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1050 2: 974 Graphics: Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.1 driver: modesetting resolution: OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile v: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.2 Audio: Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.18.12-1-MANJARO Network: Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k IF: wls1 state: up mac: 48:5d:60:63:6d:c6 Device-2: JMicron JMC250 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: jme IF: ens5f5 state: down mac: 20:cf:30:d2:4b:44 Drives: Local Storage: total: 447.13 GiB used: 32.24 GiB (7.2%) ID-1: /dev/sda model: SSD2SC480G1CS2754D117-533 size: 447.13 GiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 430.45 GiB used: 32.24 GiB (7.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.80 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2 Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0 C mobo: N/A Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A Info: Processes: 155 Uptime: N/A Memory: 7.58 GiB used: 457.3 MiB (5.9%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.26

(Pedram Pourang) #2

Great!

(Mark Rabideau) #3

For those who may not have seen this (like me… I did not). It could save you a LOT of time: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=LXQt_with_kwin

(Alf Gaida) #4

ok, a bit incomplete - but installing kwin is a good start to use kwin :smiley:

IF they had done their homework a bit better they would recommend to install the kcmshell5 and a few additional and very useful packages regarding kwin configuration and overall appearance (and to create some desktop files to do so)

That would provide some lightweight kwin integration into LXQt. Maybe i should write some examples if i find the time.

(Btw - i’m not overly sarcastic - started with that last time i spend some hours in a train to a linux fair)

(Mark Rabideau) #5

Then by all means make a comment where those who are most able to benefit… will benefit. I am unable to change that document.

(Alf Gaida) #6

The only problem right now is spare time - will see what i can do on the weekend. It will not be complete, but could give an idea.

Edit: I like the idea to have it in a central point - and this point should be upstream, nothing against Manjaro, Arch, Debian - the hyperlink was invented years ago. The only point right now is the lack of time. Ok, right now might be a god time for a start :wink:

(Mark Rabideau) #7

@agaida I believe you and the rest of the LXQt team, have to balance your work efforts with spreading the LXQt ‘word’ (message). Getting enthusiastic exposure is crucial to success. I personally believe the broader ‘arch’ eco-system tends toward lighter desktops. The ‘Debian world’ tends towards heavier desktops (a gross generalization, I know). The ‘arch world’ seems, to me, to have more early adopters than other communities. I think that given where LXQt is in its development cycle, these are factors worthy of consideration.

Edit: It occurs to me that tutorials like the manjaro one I pointed to earlier could be housed (hosted) here rather than at a particular distro. The tutorials could very well generate traffic to this site, thereby benefiting your exposure (messaging) efforts.

I have written a guide to set up LXQt with KWin a while ago. Most of it should still be relevant.

It was not perfect, some settings where missing but I tried to keep it very lean.

https://absolute-beginner.netlify.com/post/lxqt-kwin-virtualbox/