LXQT menu editor

(Jean-Marc Pigeon) #1

I am using LXQT-0.13 within Linux from scratch (LFS-8.3) and results are good. I am trying to have the LFS team to consider again to have LXQT part of the BLFS project.

What is missing from LXQT is the menu editing mode. A way to easily add menu and sub menu to LXQT panel (as Gnome-2) I am trying menulibre…But so fare, it is not a real success.

Is there a tool to do it already?, is the LXQT team have a plan to implement such functionality?

(James) #2

You can use drag&drop of a menu item to a quicklaunch widget. Does this do what you want?

(Alf Gaida) #3

@bjlockie - i guess no - i guess @jmp really want to edit the main menu. And no, right now we don’t have such a thing.

(Jean-Marc Pigeon) #4

Hello,

Indeed, I want to have a tool/capability as in gnome-2 something extremely intuitive.

Menulibre, is less intuitive but could be good enough, but I was not successful to have fully working. (it seems almost working…almost is the keyword).

1. Is LXQT team having a “menu editing” project?
  2. Is there somebody using menulibre succesfully?
  3. Could somebody propose a way to have the user to nicely customize its panel (new menu, sub menu, launcher, etc…) within 0.13 setup?

(Alf Gaida) #5
  • No, not now - but you could start one if you want.
  • Hopefully not - see the dependencies
LANG=C apt install menulibre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  gir1.2-gmenu-3.0 gnome-menus libgnome-menu-3-0 python3-psutil
Suggested packages:
  python-psutil-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gir1.2-gmenu-3.0 gnome-menus libgnome-menu-3-0 menulibre python3-psutil
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded.
Need to get 526 kB of archives.

(Alf Gaida) #6

The best bet right now is a combination of cp /usr/share/applications/$foo $HOME/.local/share/applications and $EDITOR ~/.local/share/application/$foo - files in ./local should have precedence over /usr/share/applications - so changes here should be have a direct impact on the menu - like ShowIn, OnlyShowIn etc.

(Alf Gaida) #7

https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/255 - the request isn’t really new - so if one want to work on it …

It would be a nice and not so complicated newcomer project.

(Jean-Marc Pigeon) #8

I have LXQt running under LFS-8.3 and result are very positive, I have too XFCE4 and I prefer LXQt.

I have menulibre on LXQt and I must say I am not thrill by it.

I really think a menu management 'a la gnome-2" would be a winner design. Seems to me LXQt need only a “launcher” to be improved and provide not only one icon slot but a dynamic area to store more than one icon. ie: you click on the launcher icon and a sub-panel show-up (vertically if the panel is horizontal) a set of action/program icons. Obviously you can add launchers within within one launcher area.

How big/difficult would it be to expend launcher to have more than one slot?