LXQT minimal installation

(Alf Gaida) #22

@thesilencekeeper - I should be honest and verbose about. Any packaging is a consenus between being minimal and “damn, i don’t want discussions about missed dependencies, so i depend on some things that some morons could strip”. Sounds harsh, is harsh - will not be changed. :smiley: And please excuse me - wrote this approx. 100 times in the past and it becomes boring.

Some other boring things:

• the claim that openbox is the default and dedicated WM for LXQt - plain wrong
  • so called minimum installations - there is no such thing. I can leave out some things that i don’t like if i really know what i do and want - very most users don’t
  • so called optimum installation - there is no such thing. Debian comes near and is prepared to be flexible in some ways - the chosen WM, DM, Network Managent and so on. User taste differ, so we at least give the users the chance to modify things when they don’t agree with our choices.

Next thing is esp. true for Debian systems and derivatives - some people still think it’s cool to misuse apt like that:

apt install lxqt --no-install-recommends

My opinion about hasn’t changed over time - it is utter crap and total bullshit. Any dependency and any recommendation has a reason - at least in the Debian packging: It will give the average user a full and good experience with LXQt right out of the box. Now to the experienced user in short:

• Debian uses so called task in d-i and to create flavour ISOs - in case of LXQt it is task-lxqt-desktop:
    Package: task-lxqt-desktop
    Version: 3.55
    Priority: optional
    Section: tasks
    Source: tasksel
    Maintainer: Debian Install System Team debian-boot@lists.debian.org
    Installed-Size: 6.144 B
    Depends: tasksel (= 3.55), task-desktop, sddm, sddm-theme-debian-elarun | sddm-theme-debian-elarun, lxqt
    Recommends: xsane, orca, libreoffice-gtk3, synaptic, libreoffice, libreoffice-help-en-us, mythes-en-us, hunspell-en-us, hyphen-en-us, system-config-printer
    Download-Size: 1.056 B
    APT-Sources: http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
    Description: LXQt
    This task package is used to install the Debian desktop, featuring
    the LXQt desktop environment, and with other packages that Debian users
    expect to have available on the desktop.
  • all the X and Desktop related things are thrown in by `task-desktop:
    Package: task-desktop
    Version: 3.55
    Priority: optional
    Section: tasks
    Source: tasksel
    Maintainer: Debian Install System Team debian-boot@lists.debian.org
    Installed-Size: 6.144 B Depends: tasksel (= 3.55), xorg, xserver-xorg-video-all, xserver-xorg-input-all, desktop-base
    Recommends: task-gnome-desktop | task-xfce-desktop | task-kde-desktop | task-lxde-desktop | task-cinnamon- desktop | task-mate-desktop | task-lxqt-desktop, xdg-utils, fonts-symbola, avahi-daemon, libnss-mdns, anacron, eject, iw, alsa-utils, libu2f-udev, sudo, firefox | firefox-esr
    Download-Size: 1.028 B
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
    Description: Debian desktop environment
    This task package is used to install the Debian desktop.

So with this knowledge and a minimal netinst.iso one can go on and build a system he likes - the chance is high that one miss some things - it will be the re-invention of the wheel. The important thing is - it might be easier to install task-lxqt-desktop with some additions, read it as in:

apt install task-lxqt-desktop kwin-x11 $foo $bar- $baz-

in this case the default WM (xfwm4) would be overridden, $foo would be additional installed, the recommended packages $bar and $baz would not be installed. Good tool to play with.

(The Silencekeeper) #23

@agaida Ahh, first of all: Thank you(s)! :slight_smile:

For creating a great operation system of Debian GNU/Linux and for creating a great X11 desktop environment of LXQt (among many many other things: GNU programs, Linux kernel, vi/vim text editor, TeX/LaTeX,…)!

I have been using them for… free for… decades, but never had a chance to say “thank you” to those who create them. So: Thank you(s), one more time! :slight_smile:

=====

Back to the topic:

Just want to help/discuss with @oui in case s/he still interests in this topic – by telling the way I’m trying to do to get it (the packages/programs I’m trying and issues/problems following). Help others is to help myself, I think: maybe @oui and others will tell me something I missed – for example!

No any other implications intended! :smile:

(Alf Gaida) #24

@thesilencekeeper - no problem - i can give only some hints how and why we do some things - and playing with some options give sometimes results i never had expected. And sometimes such things lead to new solutions.

(The Silencekeeper) #25

Have a great day, guys :slight_smile:

Very importantly: “Free as in freedom” – as I always keep in mind :wink: