Network Manager on the panel Debian 10 LXQt

(ydek) #1

Hello!

In Debian 10.2 LXQt does not have the Network Manager icon on the panel and is difficult for anyone using on Notebook with Wi-Fi. There is a known bug that I don’t know if has been fixed: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=928408

Do I need to install any packages?

Thank you.

(Pedram Pourang) #2

CMST (with connman) is simple and efficient.

(ydek) #3

Would that be? Connman UI Setup

Every time you restart Debian 10 the icon does not appear in the panel.

How to fix on the panel?

(Pedram Pourang) #4

Yes.

CMST has an easy-to-use Preferences tab; you need to take a look at it (as is the case with any other app).

(ydek) #5

All right, I’ll check how it works.

(Stefano) #6

You have to add it to session configuration > autostart

(Alf Gaida) #7

One should consider a bit Wait time - the panel should be started before cmst.

(ydek) #8

@tsujan Connman is working fine, but every time you restart the Notebook you need to access the Menu to open the Connman.

(ydek) #9

@stefonarch @agaida

Thank you very much for the tip. I was wondering how to configure correctly.

(Pedram Pourang) #10

Preferences → Program Control → Enable Autostart

Oh, @agaida explained it with a screenshot.

(Alf Gaida) #11

To be honest - First: i don’t see a problem beside the fact that the original name/comment in the desktop file is not that clever. For debian i patched at least the icon - nobody knows the cmst icon nor what it means - so i used the default network icon for the connman settings in the config center.

Second: Connman and CMST are not exclusive for LXQt - so maybe it would be a good idea to provide the wait time in debian lxqt defaults - i’m not willing to autostart cmst by default, there is no need to do so.

@ydek - and thanks for mentioning the tasks bug, i was free to close it.

(Pedram Pourang) #12

Yes!

If I find the time, I might make a PR at CMST, so that waiting won’t be needed.

(Alf Gaida) #13

@tsujan - erm - it would be possible to provide the waiting for the tray in the deskop file - we do so in our auto generated autostart files. My question is: Is there a general parameter for?

(Pedram Pourang) #14

I don’t think so. But any code can be changed so that the app automatically finds the systray, without asking the user for a delay time. I’ve done so for lxqt-notificationd’s tray icon as well as for FeatherNotes.

(Alf Gaida) #15

ok - in that case it will be Andrews task to implement or merge your request

(Alf Gaida) #16

And a second thought - we still have the not released lxqt-connman-foo - maybe we should ask Andrew if and how it could be integrated

(Pedram Pourang) #17

He and I had some GUI talks before and he kindly made changes after our discussions – 2 years ago?

we still have the not released lxqt-connman-foo

I don’t know what it is but I think CMST is the best choice with LXQt.

(ydek) #18

Alright, I’ll be here to help.

(ydek) #19

@agaida Another problem, when restarting Connman appears and the panel icon, but the markings are disabled is necessary to enable again.

(ydek) #20

Upon restarting Connman no longer appears, nor does the icon on the panel.