Nice Lubuntu "review"

(Alf Gaida) #1

I can’t say anything positive about this “review”, maybe a big but:

• it installs
  • it seems to work fine, if shortcut handling isn’t as before not a Lubuntu bug.
  • if a distribution is bad because one can’t handle screen brightness via a panel plugin one maybe should learn about keyboard shortcuts - ok, we improved something meanwhile - but a brightness plugin for a panel? REALLY???
  • the general misunderstanding of RAM usage in Qt5 and memory management at all - no, i’m not willing to discuss or rant about again.
  • there are some valid points, but hard to find. Will write a few bugs when i stopped laughing.

(Pedram Pourang) #2

“The first issue is that there’s no way for you to control the brightness of the screen from the panel.”

Ah, they think LXQt is a Qt clone of LXDE. How many times should I say… ?

"The battery icon (the green circle) on the panel does not have the functionality of changing the brightness, it just shows you the battery percentage.

Really?! A battery icon just tells about battery?

“Another issue exists in keyboard shortcuts. Normally, when you add a new shortcut that utilizes the same key button as another shortcut, the older one would be removed or a notification message would be sent.”

I agree with this one: it was the only good point I could extract.

“Moreover, shortcuts don’t work if menus or popup windows (like file chooser) are open.”

They shouldn’t.

“It’s very hard to add apps icons to the quick launch widget on the panel.”

Nonesense.

“you would notice is that there’s no preview option in the file chooser;”

Update your installation!

“If you try to take a screenshot using the default screenshot tool, then after taking the shot, it will be opened in the image viewer instead of just asking you where to save the image”

I don’t know about Lubuntu but the default screenshot utility is screengrab in LXQt.

“There’s no apparent “New Tab” button in the terminal emulator”

Simply use your eyes!

“It is also worthy to note that Lubuntu comes with a system monitoring application called “qps“, but its user interface is very messy and hard to understand:”

That will be fixed before the next LXQt release.

The rest wasn’t my concern.

(Pedram Pourang) #3

BTW, please test and merge my Qps PR. I’ve yet another big PR. After it, no one could say Qps is confusing or not a good process manager.

(Alf Gaida) #4

Merged.

(Walter Lapchynski) #5

To be fair, this is about a particular version of Lubuntu, which is technically a bit of a snapshot of LXQt at that particular time. So there’s some old stuff in there (that LXQt has since fixed). It happens. There’s a new version right around the corner, though, so this is a bit late.

The thing I find most funny about this is the positive spin on Discover, which many folks have complained about. Interestingly, most of those complaints have to do with how “slow” it is when in fact the issue is that it has not yet provided a way of indicating progress so you think it’s frozen/not doing anything when it’s actually doing its normal work.

The one thing I agree is an issue (and one we’ve also been working hard to fix on our end of things with sane defaults and moving non-window management-specific shortcuts out of the Openbox config) is with shortcuts. I know LXQt has also been working tirelessly on that, as well, so I’m confident we’ll get a handle on that.

One thing I would like to hear more about is about RAM usage. If there’s a link you can point me at, I’d appreciate it. I remember PCMan complaining about how GTK3’s requirements were higher than Qt4’s, but it seems you are hinting at something altogether different and possibly more interesting. Like I said, links work. I can put two and two together :slight_smile:

(Pedram Pourang) #6

lxqt-globalkeys needs more attention. It’s quite usable but has flaws.

(Alf Gaida) #7

Re: RAM usage - In the end it is easy, LXQt will use some basic Qt and KF5 libs - and that it was. Maybe the libs are a bit bigger, but all LXQt applications will use the same few libs, so the initial amount of loaded things is a bit higher, but will not increase much if additional applications are loaded - so it is the old comparisation of apples and oranges. In the very end and with some applications loaded the memory footprint is the same or lower as with GTK.

EDIT: So in the end, the more services you install and start from the very beginning the more initial RAM will be used - but i would not listen that much to the “purists” - it is not relevant if a system use say 380 or 580M right after start - it would be interesting how much the amount of used RAM will grow over time.

(Pedram Pourang) #8

In addition, RAM usage comparison isn’t as simple as looking at a process monitor. You need to do a specific job with 2 different toolkits and even then, you need to compare their CPU usages too: an app may “remember” some things instead of getting them again and again.

(Hmollercl) #9

just to clarify:

• 19.04 uses lximage-qt for screenshots, 19.10 will use screengrab.
  • 19.10 will have background file-chooser thumbnails.

Regarding RAM, I’ve made some comparison lxde vs lxqt task by task (panel vs panel, pcmanfm vs pcmanfm) and they are very similar. But lxqt has more functionalities, like lxqt-runner and panel in menu search which obviously consumes more ram (we also in lubuntu autostart qlipper) and also ubuntu (w/o DE) since 18.04 might be more ram hungry. It should be good to have a way to clearly compare ram consumption, and explain how to do a good comparison, like this https://blog.lxqt.org/2016/10/benchmark-memory-usage-lxqt-desktop-environment-vs-xfce/ and not like this http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2019/07/comparison-of-memory-usages-of-ubuntu-1904-and-flavors-in-2019.html where different monitors are used.

(Alf Gaida) #10

@hmollercl - and don’t forget something important - ok, i will be a bit unfair now - just compare Lubuntu 19.10 i386 and Lubuntu 19.10 amd64 :smiley: (couldn’t resist). Alternative: fire up a current debian live lxqt i386 and amd64 - you will be surprised.

(Walter Lapchynski) #11

@agaida touché: there is no 19.10 i386, or 19.04, for any flavor of Ubuntu. But fair point. Thanks to you and @tsujan for the hint about how to actually measure things well. I’ve been meaning to do a blog post defending LXQt especially in regards to resource usage.

(Alf Gaida) #12

the point was fair in 2015 and earlier - the difference in used RAM after the first firing up should be appox 30-35% which can be considered a lot - thanks god i have some fresh siduction builds here - same packages, same configuration, different kernel (siduction amd64 is ours, siduction i386 is plain debian)

(Alf Gaida) #13

amd64

i386

same build system, same installed packages - different architecture - ok, and now to some footprint tuning.

(Pedram Pourang) #14

When I migrated to Linux, I had a 32-bit desktop computer. A year after I started to use Debian, I got a 64-bit computer. The difference between RAM usages was considerable. For example, FeatherPad (the GTK2 version) used almost twice the memory, while I hadn’t changed anything.

(Alf Gaida) #15

And now to the harder facts of our base system - we consider and DE as bad and stop this crap - nobody sane would use a DE:

sorry, no sane distribution would use as many daemons as we do - hey, really, the will not, sure thing … The running LXQt i386 system with stopped desktop environment

(Alf Gaida) #16

So please let us compare it to a current noX build, right after start - i will be not fair here, i will use amd64:

so wow - i’m impressed.

And also here we see a visible gap between a noX system and a lxqt system with stopped DE in i386.

Edit: sorry, mixed some screenshots and my mind :smiley: