PCManFM-Qt transfer speed when copying a file

(Cerbereus) #1

Hello, how are you? First I will like to congratulate to the devs for the work of LxQt, it’s amazing work and also thanks for not embrace the javascript fashion that is plagued on the other DE.

I Would like to know if there is an option for PcManFM-Qt for viewing the transfer speed when copying a file from hard drive to usb drive or copying files through networking like smb. This is helpful because sometimes i plugged the hard drive or usb drive on slower usb 2.0 :stuck_out_tongue: also to check the network speed of copying a file on my router.

Maybe there is an option but so far I cannot see it or need to compile with that option.

Thanks for your help and time.

Cheers.

(Pedram Pourang) #2

I guess you mean QML. See https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/1433#issuecomment-516556436

There’s no way of knowing the exact speed of copying multiple files. It depends on the directory tree, file system, whether files will be overwritten or not, other writes, etc. However, the file transfer dialog has the section “Time remaining”, which is a very rough estimation.

There are more reliable tools for that. Conky is one of them.

(Cerbereus) #3

Thanks tsujan for the fast reply.

Yes sir, you are right about QML.

I check time remaining as you said is very rough estimation, honestly never thgouht many files just a big file, maybe If I can determine with the speed transfer but as you said It’s true when you copy so many files and small size is very hard to determine the speed of copying the file .

Yes I will check conky or others realiable tools.

(Pedram Pourang) #4

Various facts show that there’s no way of finding a reliable speed but I’ll investigate that further if I find the time.

As for QML, it’s simply bad for a desktop environment but, unfortunately, some developers use it when they want to make a Qt app quickly – I’ve seen examples here and there. But we don’t do so.