Show your (LXQt) desktop.

(antonio) #1

A place to show how LXQt can look.

(antonio) #2

Current desktop. Frost lxqt theme, arc icons, 1977 openbox theme.

Here’s mine. QTStep theme, Breeze icons, font is Liberation.

(Mark Rabideau) #4

Here’s an image of my LXQT-kwin11 based desktop (no openbox).

More details may be found here, including the complete install!:

(Pedram Pourang) #5

I’m an LXQt member but never use its default look :wink: I change the look once in a while but for now – with KWin and BreezeEnhanced as its title-bar, Kvantum as the widget style, two LXQt panels and a Conky clock:

(Jim Shriner) #6

Sweet looking desktop tsujan! You appear to be customizing on a level above and beyond the typical choices in LXQt appearance.

Kwin is an interesting WM with some cool eye-candy and a built-in compositor. Not for me anymore, but cool. They removed their “tabbed window” feature, and do not have a right-click floating root menu. This is why I prefer FluxBox and PekWM, but can use OpenBox in a pinch. I’ve been considering KWin for its rumored Wayland compatibility, but I’d need the tabbed window feature restored and solve the root menu issue. I saw a custom menu addon for Plasma5 desktop, but wondered if it was Qt compatible. I guess it doesn’t matter, as the most recent post suggests it no longer works on Plasma. Too bad, it was very interesting and there doesn’t appear to be anything else like it…

Back to your desktop though…I’ve been trying to understand LXQt themeing so I can customize beyond the typical “choose from these choices” in LXQt Appearance. You appear to be doing that?! The best I can tell, LXQt Appearance is actually 3-4 items: LXQt Theme seems to only affect panels and menus; Widgets seems to only affect Window widgets/selection boxes; Icons affect icons (are there any Qt icons besides Breeze and Oxygen?); and Window decorations are still controlled by the Window Manager’s mechanism. Is this correct?

Surfing for additional info or tutorials, I’ve bumped into Kvantum and qt5ct before. But qt5ct appears to be geared toward uniformity of Qt and GTK apps, where Kvantum appears to be its own thing. Is it another “engine” like Murrine or Clearlooks, etc…? Or something else? Are Kvantum and qt5ct complementary, or exclusive? I saw an extensive thread somewhere else where I recognized your name suggesting Kvantum as a component for solution of LXQt themeing development. I didn’t really understand the discussion, but perhaps that was because I lacked the underlying basis of discussion?

Would a Kvantum explanation or tutorial/how-to be in order? I know I would appreciate knowing more and I suspect there are a few others as well? Lubuntu is about to drop 18.10 as the first default LXQt of a major distro, and I think there’s gonna be a large spike in LXQt users, or at least a large spike in LXQt interest. It’s little things like theming that us layman like to do in order to make our desktops our own. It could be the difference between folks switching to LXQt desktops, or “just stopping by, but not for me.”

Of course, that’s just my opinion…but if that suggestion doesn’t pull at your heart strings, how about the sincere begging of one extremely interested layman LXQt user-wannabe? :sunglasses:

(Pedram Pourang) #7

The Qt widget style (Fusion, Breeze, Kvantum, QtCurve,…) is responsible for everything that isn’t styled by stylesheets. The panel and its widgets can have stylesheets (QSS files), in which case, they will have a different appearance. You could know a lot about stylesheets by studying the LXQt themes inside /usr/share/lxqt/themes. Play with them and restart the panel!

They are very different from each other: Kvantum is a Qt widget style, while qt5ct is a Qt “platform theme plugin” for DEs that don’t have one. LXQt has lxqt-qtplugin.

I’ve included two comprehensive PDF files inside the source :wink: They are proved to be practical because they have been used by theme makers. I use them too.

Maybe but most LXQt git users come from Arch and Debian. Their reports have been more useful because they have the latest git versions. Ubuntu users’ reports may be good soon after a release is published.

(Pedram Pourang) #8

BTW, KWin may not be as good as it was before in some respects but KDE devs have done great jobs recently. The new blur effect and drop shadow are visible to ordinary users too. Moreover, we shouldn’t mistake KWin and Plasma with each other; the first can be used with LXQt, the second can’t.

I think KDE’s development can’t be tracked under Ubuntu as it can under Arch, its derivatives and Debian sid – and that’s the case with LXQt too.

(Jim Shriner) #9

I don’t mistake KWin for Plasma, anymore than I mistake Openbox for LXDE. LOL! But since there’s so little documentation of LXQt out in the wild, I sometimes wonder WHICH KDE/Plasma elements are LXQt compatible and which are not. Looking forward to more users=more ideas=more implementations=even more users… At least I hope that’s how it goes!

(Jim Shriner) #10

Thanks for the tip on the PDFs! They’re kinda buried in there, so not sure I’d find them without your re-assurance that they’re there!

A lot of info in those PDFS. At first glance, my eyes are glazing and I’m afraid a bunch of stuff will be over my head. I’ve got some reading to do!

BTW…I like your screenshots showing what’s possible. Truth be told, I much prefer dark environments, but I’m having a helluva time finding dark widgets/themes for Qt. Adwaita-dark and breeze-dark(?) are the only 2 so far. I’m digging your dark themes in Kvantum!

I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself, especially for something I don’t understand yet, but I’m kinda excited that you pointed me in the right direction with Kvantum! Thank you!

(Pedram Pourang) #11

But they are in the doc folder.

Several dark themes are included.

BTW, its latest git version is always better and translucency/blurring needs a good compositor – Compton isn’t so.

(Alf Gaida) #12

Maybe but most LXQt git users come from Arch and Debian. Their reports have been more useful because they have the latest git versions. Ubuntu users’ reports may be good soon after a release is published.

Classical misunderstanding of the debian and ubuntu release process - Ubuntu user reports will nearly allways target the LXQt release which is published with the Ubuntu release (i did not count PPA users as we don’t know the state of any possible PPA). The only users that will have newer versions might be the few brave ones that run the upcoming release when it is still in development. In our case that might be the users of “Cosmic Cuttlefish”+1 which will be released in April 2019 :slight_smile:

(Jim Shriner) #13

Lubuntu isn’t using LXQt 0.13? That would keep me from installing in a VM and tinkering. I was able to install LXQt 0.12 on an Ubuntu mini ISO back in May or June. Ubuntu isn’t known for the latest & greatest, but there was plenty of time, IMO, to upgrade from 0.12 to 0.13, and it IS an upgrade! Did the underpinnings of LXQt 0.13 change that much that the 'Buntus might not have had sufficient time to test it out? Any 'Buntu not ending in an even-numbered *.04 is only supported for 9 months, and will be superceded in 6. I’ve always viewed the in-between non-LTS 'Buntu releases as “beta, RC, and final” versions for the upcoming LTS release.

(Pedram Pourang) #14

The problem is that even LXQt 0.13 is old :smiley: LXQt 0.12 is ancient! That’s why I mentioned the latest git versions.

(Mark Rabideau) #15

@hedon Jim back to your question about icons you can use almost any icon set. The challenge has to do with does the set of icons you like match the set of apps you use. If you use a mix of QT & GTK apps, which is probably the case, then you need an icon set that will support your ‘set’. I would recommend you try a large icon set (up the probability of getting a nearly complete set of icons for your laptop or whatever). Try to use surfn icons or obsidian to see if they work for you. I like surfn as a Flat icon style and Obsidian as a super set of Faenza. If you are running anything that uses AUR you will have no problem installing them. If you need to install the icons yourself, then place them in ~HOME/.local/share/icons (I think that works).

I will set up an LXQT (manjaro) laptop today. I’ll report my findings later.

(Jim Shriner) #16

What version is “current” and what is under development?

I’ve got Alf’s Siduction LXQt in a VM, updated about 2 weeks ago, and LXQt info says it’s 0.13. I thought Siduction was “latest & greatest” (SID repos), although I also have a Sparky LXQt with version 0.13 and Sparky is based on “Testing” repos.

Although I remember Alf saying he’d implemented some of my feature request/bug fixes, but they were in Arch and weren’t available in Debian yet. I though Siduction was bleeding edge, but sounds like Arch is in front of it?

(Jim Shriner) #17

Thanks for the tips Mark!

Not really a fan of the “flat” themes. I don’t dislike them, but I don’t like them either. To me, they’re just “meh”. I do like Obsidian though, and I have that installed in Sparky LXQt (BTW…I see you’re also on the Sparky forums, using the same name manyroads). I also like Vibrancy(?), or maybe it’s Vivacious? I’ll have to look.

Personally, I’m not a fan of complete icon sets, with different icons for apps. I’m used to seeing “standard” icons for Firefox, Thunderbird, etc… and when folks re-imagine those icons, it messes with me. Some are pretty cool, but certain icons are so ingrained in my brain that anything else has me looking for something that’s already right in front of me! I like icon sets that primarily focus on different folder colors for the file manager, so that icon colors can complement the desktop themes. For years, I’ve been using LXColors for widgets/themes and zonColor icon sets for my LXDE desktops. That combo is a sweet spot for me, with ability to switch out color themes and icon sets to match everything, but still retaining default app icons. That is just my preference, but I think I’m a minority on that one though.

When I’m searching for icons, I see references to “gtk” themes, which is sort of confusing as I thought icons were DE agnostic? I guess certain icons for system tray/plugins may be tied into the gnome or kde ecosystem…maybe that is what they’re referencing?

(Mark Rabideau) #18

@hedon re: your comment re: Debian vs. Arch is nearly true. Debian really tends to be risk averse. They test and polish much more arduously before letting the little people break things. I like breaking things. :wink: manjaro tests a week or two more than arch and that works best for me. I rarely see breakages and am almost always able to see over the edge. :upside_down_face: As for flat icons and themes, I have recently developed an appreciation for them when the colors are brighter. The dark ones just don’t work with my old eyes… or maybe it’s that my eyes don’t work with the dark ones… confusing. Anyway mid-tones are good for me.

Yes, I toyed around with Sparky but their community is pretty quiet. I, also get the feeling Sparky is primarily a husband and wife effort. Not a lot of additional helpers or team mates are visible.

(Alf Gaida) #19

Ok, here some screenshots of a conservative siduction iso with (nearly) latest git packages:

(Mark Rabideau) #20

too dark for my old eyes… but it certainly looks professional.