Show your (LXQt) desktop.

(Alf Gaida) #21

Hmm - one can change the background - i named our experimental and upcoming releases “PaintItBlack” (we name all releases after famous rock songs) years ago - they should look different to the normal releases. And a dark design matching the name was obvious :).

It’s not much

EDIT: Menu

menu

All I need to do now is fixed lxqt-panel transparency or choose a better panel theme. And look for a better Icon theme.

(Mark Rabideau) #23

Good song!

(Pedram Pourang) #24

Having used Debian for 8 years and chosen an Arch based diistro (Manjaro) after that, I can say that Debian is very flexible and you can do many things with it but there is some truth in the above statement: You’re much freer with Arch than with Debian. I really enjoy that freedom. I also enjoy the speed of Arch’s package management compared to Debian’s – it’s much faster and much easier to use.

As a consequence, you have access to a wider range of programs with Arch. I don’t mean they can’t be installed on Debian with a headache. As a developer, I need the latest versions of important programs as soon as possible and without hassle. Manjaro does that for me; Debian didn’t.

On the other hand, if you’re an Arch user, you encounter unsolved problems Debian users don’t encounter. That happened for me a lot as a Debian user – I read Arch forums more often than Debian’s and was happy that the problems weren’t new and that their solutions had been found. Fortunately, that’s the case with Manjaro too :slight_smile:

(Pedram Pourang) #25

One other thing: Debian’s so-called freezes were killing me :wink:

(Mark Rabideau) #26

@tsujan I think you have captured it well. No matter what a person chooses there are trade-offs to be made. I like many distros (MX Linux, Peppermint, LinuxMint, ArchLabs, BunsenLabs, Solus, among others). But for me, nothing is quite as good as manjaro. I have used it everyday since version .0.8 As long as the manjaro team remains as highly competent as the one Philip Müller currently heads… I’m a fan.

(Pedram Pourang) #27

Me too. Philip has done a great job.

(Alf Gaida) #28

You understand the concept of releases? You can take an Arch or Manjaro or something - and you will find the latest release in the official repositories. Arch AUR or my git builds are things that are built from our git master - it wouldn’t be a good idea to base a distribution on such things.

So - there are two choices - run a released version or really bleeding edge and use latest git. With all pro’s and con’s - and i guess for so called “normal” users a released version is the far better idea.

(Jim Shriner) #29

Apparently I don’t.

I thought Siduction was as bleeding edge as Arch. I thought LXQt 0.13 was the latest & greatest version, as I’ve only seen the released versions. I was surprised to find out that LXQt 0.13 is an “old” version, as I believed if that was the version in Siduction, it must be the latest & greatest. Hence the questions.

I thought I knew some things, but I’m being surprised lately. I hope I’m not sounding dis-gruntled or argumentative, as that certainly isn’t my intent. Just trying to understand the flow of LXQt as it downstreams into varying distros.

(Alf Gaida) #30

0.13 is the latest and greatest released version. It was released 2018-05-21. So what do you expect - Siduction uses the same packages as Sparky - but they get them approx. five days later. To be true, sometimes (transitions) they will get fixes in the packages weeks later. But these fixes are mostly about packaging, not about functionality.

If one want the bleeding edge stuff - use Arch or Manjaro with AUR or siduction with my insane snapshot repos. The only adventage i have is: i can hit the build button nearly any time and with a bit luck a working iso is created - https://isobuilds.siduction.org/lxqt/amd64/siduction-18.3.0-paintitblack-lxqt-amd64-201810210130.iso

• (+) All the current changes from today, all new packages from todays sid
  • (-) ghostscript is broken, that breaks cups and some printer drivers and wine too :smiley: - some call it rolling release fun, one can’t predict what is broken today, tomorrow,next week - at least it is not boring.

(Mark Rabideau) #31

@agaida Alf, I have to say that in my 10+ years of using Linux, the adventures are pretty much equal with fixed releases or rolling releases or hybrids. Well managed distros perform well… poorly managed ones, not so much. :wink:

(Alf Gaida) #32

@manyroads - ten years ago i wanted to be only a user and the first action i had to do as noob was to patch, compile and install the just modified xserver to fit my machine. And the mentioned things above are not so much a problem in the daily usage but at times when a release is near :slight_smile:

Now to something completly different, i sat down today and wrote some lines that are in my mind long ago - and thats the outcome, the missed integration for kwin in LXQt:

Needed things are kwin and kcmshell5 iirc. For tests just put the file into /usr/share/applications. Additional thoughts and discussion one will find here: https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-wm-integration/issues/1

And if all agree i would like to split this captured thread into a new one so that the remaining posts are really related to the topic "Show your (LXQt) desktop.

The only thing missing for me to switch from XFCE is the notification logging config and do not disturb, and of course the whisker menu. The whisker menu is simply on of the best in my opinion, and because of it’s ability to be resized, it fits in any desktop layout. I would really love to see more customization options and features which are seen in mate and xfce, in lxqt.