Will LXQt support logon sounds?

(Random) #1

Hello,

I realize LXQt is like a sister to LXDE, but I was wondering if logon sounds would be supported on LXQt?

TIA

(Chris Rainey) #2

SDDM(post-login script?) or LXQt-session(autostart-section) can contain anything you want. Although I’m not a fan of login-sounds(or environmental sounds of any kind), I think this should always be optional!

(Pedram Pourang) #3

I always have log-in sound with any DE, LXQt included, but the fact is that no DE needs a program for that – adding a program for log-in sound is an overkill, IMHO. Just add an audio file of your choice to the startup! You could make a bash script for your extra start-up and add something like this to it:

mpg123 -b 1024 -q MP3_FILE &

or:

mplayer -msglevel all=-1 WAV_FILE > /dev/null 2>&1 &

or with any player that can play a sound without GUI.

(Random) #4

I feel like I’ve seen your post on the Ubuntu forum before.

(Random) #5

I didn’t think about scripting before. Not sure why that flew by me.

I think support for it via some sessions manager (like ckrzen mentioned) is convenient most of the time.

While I definitely see the need for a GUI compatible way to get that done, I’m more than happy to see a script get the same thing done.

Not sure why this wasn’t mentioned on other sites asking the same thing.

(Chris Rainey) #6

Howdy!

(Random) #7

Just to clarify: unlike LXDE, LXQt will be able to manage logon sounds via LXQt-session? I know LXDE had its own thing but I’m following up with what’s been mentioned so far.

(Pedram Pourang) #8

Log-in sound is just one example. Add ~/bin to your paths, make a script including all your start-up things inside it (you could even set their order with sleep INTERVAL), make it executable, and then add it to LXQt Session Settings → Autostart.

This is very flexible. For example, I’ve added /usr/bin/lxqt-notificationd & to such a script after removing it from LXQt module startup because I wanted it to have blurring with kwin and so, it should start a little later. And so on and so forth…

(Alberto Salvia Novella) #9

The problem with logon sounds is that these days the sound volume is controlled from the gui, not the hardware. So you cannot disable it before login, and prevent waking up people in the middle of the night.

(jubalh) #10
  1. In the middle of the night you should sleep!
  2. Don’t put your computer in the bedroom!
  3. Don’t use logon sounds if you don’t want them :wink:

(Alberto Salvia Novella) #11

People say that my bedroom looks like a spaceship.

(Mark Rabideau) #12

T.M.I. (Too much information). :wink:

(Jim Shriner) #13

Some Men In Black (MIB) want to talk to you…something about abductions and probes?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Alberto Salvia Novella) #14

That’s just the tip of the iceberg :grin:

(Mark Rabideau) #15

Good seeing you here, Alberto. I see you are a manjaro user as well. There are a few of us tracking and trying to help “a little bit” here. :wink:

(Alberto Salvia Novella) #16

Thank you :slight_smile: